Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Canning

I have watched my mom can since I can remember. I have always been curious about it and how it works, but I have never asked. I finally did. Being pregnant, you crave things. I was craving my mom's home made peach jam. I can't just run over to her house and get it, so I decided maybe I should try. I called my mom and asked what I needed to do. She explained it to me, so I went for it. I finally have canned! I made my first peach jam! I just hope now that it tastes good :) My next project will be to actually can fruit and other things like chicken. My mom will be coming out here in October to help with the baby and she has offered to help teach me! I am so excited! It will give me the opportunity to learn from a great cook and also not sleep all the time :) I am also hoping to get a sewing machine soon and make curtains for the baby's room. I thought that would be cheaper than buying curtains. I guess I have a lot on my plate when my mom comes, but it will all be worth it.

7 comments:

ManDee and Scott Laing said...

Good job Lacey!! I enjoyed being able to make jam with mom too. You'll enjoy doing chicken, hamburger, beans and whatever else you decide to can. It's a lot of fun and it saves you time in the long run.

Lyman and Dee Gifford said...

Looks good. Need to try it to see if it tastes as good as it looks.

Unknown said...

Homemade Peach Jam.... DELISH! You are becoming so domesticated! I love it!

Great Scott's! said...

ditto what Sonja said! And I made Paige's drapes, it was fun, part of the "nesting" process :) Ahhh, baby changes are fun.

Kat said...

look at you all domesticated! Oh shoot, Sonya just said that. Sometimes I'm slow. :) Awesome things to look forward to!!

Kimm said...

Hey! That is awesome!! Look at you getting all "mommy"! ha ha Canning is fun! Never canned chicken though....interesting!

Brittany Gifford said...

Good Job Lacey!! Shad and I just canned 15 pints of Apricot Jam last Saturday. So YUMMY!!